In honor of my trip tomorrow and airports in general, I give you a true story from a few weeks ago:
I strolled down the hall, stretching my legs during our 2+ hour layover in DFW. Having my father's fetish for knowing where I am and where I could be, I paused to examine the terminal map on the wall. Turning, I began the journey back to my seatmate, when I noticed an AirServe employee throw his hands up in exasperation. He caught my eye and quickly strode toward me.
"Ma'am! Are you waiting?" I looked at him in confusion. Am I not supposed to be down here? Why is this airport employee accosting me? Typically I view airport employees like lifeguards--we coexist but do not interact unless dire need or racaus behavior forces communication.
Airport Man continued: "Are you...keelling time? Are you waiting for your flight??" His urgency was unmistakable, though I could not understand why.
"Uh, yeah," I replied.
"Oh, can you help this ladeey?? She needs to be at gate A16! Can you please help her?"
"Um...sure..." I wavered between confusion and curiousity.
"Ok, ok, go get de wheelchair!" I obediently walked across the way; remembering the family with the '4-wheel lock' stroller from the previous day, I deftly unlocked the wheels and returned to Airport Man.
"Wheen is your flight? Do you have time?"
"Yeah, I have 45 minutes."
"Oooh," he glanced at his watch. "Ok, you take her and then you run back!" he exclaimed while pushing his arms back and forth like a runner.
We loaded the woman and her possessions onto the wheelchair. He chattered about gate A16 and if I saw anyone with his uniform, I should just pass her off to them (while making a motion that reminded me of a lateral football pass). From sheer curiousity, I asked him why he couldn't take her. "Oh, I half to drive upstairs! Ok, let's go! Oh wait! WAIT!!"
A cart drove by at that exact moment. "Wait, she needs to go to A16! Ok, thank you wery much!" (directed at me) "Come help me! A16!" (directed at the cart driver)
I stood for a minute, watching them load up, still slightly befuddled at the whole situation. "Thank you wery much!" Feeling the vibe that I was no longer needed, I turned and walked away, ending the entire scenario as abruptly as it had begun.
No comments:
Post a Comment