Monday, August 15, 2011

a letter to my better self


Dear better self & your lovely long list of August goals,

I didn't run the Leesburg 10k yesterday. And I have no shame.

Oh, my better self, you are probably asking what happened. Injury? Catastrophe? Traffic?

Sadly, I have no real excuse except laziness. I don't have a training partner. I forgot to register for the race. I couldn't muster up the 'oomph' to train. And then I signed myself up for duties at church...a sort of 'holy excuse' for not racing on a Sunday.

Better self, don't scold. There are other races. I'm thinking of at least one 5k between now and September 30. And of course, there's always the Hot Chocolate 5k/15k in December. We'll get through this. We'll find other race bibs to add to the collection. And don't forget, I did run a 5k in April that didn't even hand out race bibs! So, I haven't really been slacking this year...just this summer.

In the end, better side of me, I think this lapse of relationship over the weekend was a good thing. Maybe the break will help us. Maybe we can start fresh this week. Maybe you could help me find a running partner. Not to be needy or anything...I just think this relationship could progress more effectively with a third wheel. Or maybe you, o better self, could be the third wheel.

Waiting not so anxiously your reply,

The lazy half

No comments:

Post a Comment