I'm sorry for the recent silence! Sometimes I just don't have the energy to think about what to say...or the internet is being stupid (which has been the case for the past two weeks!). Thankfully, NHU was able to increase bandwidth or switch providers or something, so the internet has been better the past few days. So I'll share with you a big praise: I now own a bike!!
Some friends and I went into Kampala a few weeks ago, specifically on a mission to find bikes for myself and another guy. God totally blessed our search, and within an hour of starting the search, we were walking away from the market with our very own custom second-hand bikes. We're pretty sure we got the muzungu "special" (ie, the white person markup!), but hey, I'm willing to pay a little extra for the speed of my own wheels!
I'm still figuring out how to ride a bike in a skirt modestly. So far, I've discovered that long, NOT flowy skirts work best. I'll confess, it's a little annoying that white skin flashes so much in the sun.
Also, to position oneself for bike riding while wearing a skirt, the best tip I received was to lay the bike on the ground, slide one leg gracefully over and pick the bike up underneath oneself. Works like a dream, no need to lift legs and skirts high!
Ai-yai-yai, the things I never thought about before moving here...

While at the market, we were offered a bike for one million (shillings--about $475...for a used bike!). We laughed at that ridiculous offer and moved to another store where the salesmen treated us much more fairly. When you buy a bike here, you're essentially buying the frame--everything else is replaceable, as evidenced by my bike. I receive new handlebars, new gear shifters, new pedals, new mud guards, and a new seat, plus a seemingly thorough tune-up service. The brand is 'Specialized'--I laugh that my bike truly is custom-designed.

Yeah!!! Love the bike and the description of getting on with a skirt! Love the pictures too!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the pictures and descriptions. I can identify with the difficulty of trying to ride a bike modestly. We look forward to seeing you next month.
ReplyDelete