Thursday, October 25, 2012

Life in Uganda: "Gloomy" Days

To my northwestern and Canadian readers: I'm sorry in advance. This post will likely evoke one of three responses: (1) You'll be jealous and depressed. (2) You'll laugh your head off at my equatorial sense of 'gloomy' and be thankful for your true fall weather. (3) You'll immediately purchase a ticket to Uganda, leaving tomorrow. If you're wavering, I'd vote for response #3.  

A funny fact of life is how quickly one acclimates to the local climate. For example, my roommate and I were just commenting over dinner how today was such a gloomy, overcast day...despite the fact that there was blazing sun for about 50% of the day. If there is less than 75% sun in a day, it's considered a 'gloomy' day. 

NOT a gloomy day...but sweet clouds nonetheless!
The chilliness of the day (that means the average temperature was about 73 degrees F) was evidenced by the abundance of sweaters. One girl who was at our house today even pulled out a turtleneck sweater for her walk back home (I was inclined to agree with her assessment of the weather...but it still made me laugh on the inside).

So there's a taste of life in Uganda: we have gloomy days too. But on our gloomy days, we still get an overabundance of vitamin D. No worries about S.A.D. here... ;)

Random weather question: Uganda's climate feels pretty similar to Alabama's summers, but there are no tornadoes. Why is that??

2 comments: