One young camper, whom we'll call Gregory, had been an particularly ridiculous punk, concluding the first two days with a swing at a fellow camp-mate. Violence being discouraged at our camp, the immediate recourse was a chat with one of the permanent staff and a phone call to the parents. I entered the story after Gregory had a chance to explain his angst at camp food, fellow campers, and camp activities to his parents and then was dismissed to his group so a solution could be discussed between the permanent staffer and the parents.
Gregory was given a 24-hour probation period, a flashlight, and an extra counselor for his group. A second phone call between the permanent staffer and the parents was scheduled for 830pm the next day. If things hadn't improved by Wednesday night, Gregory would be sent home.
*********************************
As Wednesday wore on, it seemed the chat, the extra counselor, and some special food accommodations were helping Gregory's attitude. Fairly certain that Gregory would be able to stay the rest of the week, I still caught his group's counselors briefly after dinner for their analysis of the situation, so we could knowledgeably update his parents. All three agreed--Gregory was doing better and should be allowed to stay. The permanent staffer concurred and conveyed the news to the parents: Gregory could remain at camp.
Several hours later, Gregory's two male counselors came to me, asking for the permanent staffer's cell phone number. Concerned, I asked if everything was alright. Oh yes, they assured me; they simply wanted to make sure that Gregory wouldn't be sent home. They continued to plead his case for another five minutes, explaining all the reasons that Gregory should be given a second chance and citing all the small proofs of his slowly changing heart. Once they paused for a breath, I affirmed that Gregory had been permitted to stay, which caused no little rejoicing between these two counselors.
*********************************
I was surprised by the counselors' concern for Gregory and the way they had pleaded for him. The situation mulled through my subconscious for the next 10 hours, until suddenly I realized why their actions were so significant. The way these two young men took it upon themselves to plead Gregory's case reminded me of Hebrews 7:25, which states that Jesus "always lives to make intercession" for those who trust him. Just as they were imploring me that Gregory have a second chance, so Jesus stands before God's throne in heaven pleading that I receive mercy, that I receive a second chance, a third chance, a one-hundredth chance. If I have received such undeserved mercy, how then can I refuse to show it to others?"My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." - 1 John 2.1
That's really cool.
ReplyDelete