“So, where are you
from?”
It’s a common enough question when making small talk with
new acquaintances, but it strikes dismay into every nomad’s heart. Does the
person want the long or the short story? How much information is too much
information? Can’t we just go back to ‘stranger danger’ days??
My answer to this question depends on the day, the time, the
location, the company, and the weather. The short version is “Virginia ”…or
“Alabama .” The complex version is“Well,
I live in Virginia right now, but
I’m moving to Uganda
in the fall. I was a military brat, so I’m an East Coaster, raised from Maine
to Florida. And my family lives in Alabama ,
so that’s what I claim as home.”
I pity the sucker who thinks of this “innocuous” question
while making small talk!
During the past month, I’ve been traipsing around the
country, visiting family and friends. The life of an unemployed nomad has been
enjoyable, refreshing after a season of hard work. Soon enough, I’ll be
starting my summer job, working long days outdoors and having a blast while
doing it. After the summer, only 12 weeks from today, I’ll be moving to Africa
for a completely new adventure! 12 weeks. That’s not very long at all.
***************************************************************
On one final note, this past week I finished my fourteenth
flight of 2012. I’ve been on fourteen
different airplanes this year! The week, however, also commemorates my final
flight of 2012 until I fly to Uganda .
Good thing, since I’ll need a few months without airports or airplanes to work
up the guts for a 24+ hour trip…
| this guy bought his plane tickets from a third-party travel site... |
Hah! That picture is funny! yeah....I can imagine that "where are you from" has always been one of your more dreaded questions!
ReplyDelete