I wrote this post several weeks ago and life improved before I shared it. This past week, though, was really rough emotionally, with missing home, family, and friends. I cried twice in one week--I think that might be a new record for me. So, here's praying that this next week goes better.
**********************************
To be honest, some mornings
I wake up,
Lay in my bed, staring at the mosquito net
That hangs from the ceiling and flows around me.
I think to myself:
What on earth have I
done?
How did I end up in Uganda ?
ICan’tDoThis.
Maybe I can pretend to
have malaria,
Stay huddled in a
corner of my bed today,
Door closed,
Ignoring the reality
of this place.
Maybe I can stay there
until I go home.
Maybe I can say I felt
called to leave and just quit.
Today was one of
those days.
So I thought about advice for the
Depressed and Grieving:
JustKeepGoing.
JustKeepGoing, they say.
Well, maybe culture stress is a form of depression.
Maybe I should JustKeepGoing as well.
So I force myself to put away the mosquito net.
I force myself to put on my running shoes.
Running always makes
things better at home.
Maybe the Familiar
will help.
I force myself to walk out the door
And to take the first few fumbling steps
In the semi-dark of just-before-sunrise.
Already, my heart feels lighter.
Thankful for the times in America ,
Pounding the pavement, hours alone, just me and the road
When I developed the habit of prayer
Of pouring out my heart to Jesus, to the One who never
leaves,
Who will run any distance with me
At my perfect pace.
I pray.
Jesus, I need You.
My feet hit the dirt:
Thud, thud, thud.
Run heavy, I think
briefly.
It keeps the snakes
away.
Jesus, I need You.
Thud, thud, thud.
Jesus, I need You.
Thud, thud, thud.
The sun rises. My run ends. Endorphins
Flood through my body. So do the
Inner Strength and Hope
That come from communion with my Savior.
Maybe today will not be so bad.
“I can do all things
through him who strengthens me.” Phil. 4.13
I'll be praying.
ReplyDeleteGood post. I'm wearing that fleece lined jean jacket today. I still feel like it's really your coat and I'm just borrowing it. It's warm, and reminds me of you.
ReplyDeleteI love the way you combined words and pictures in this post! I hope this week gets a little better for you. Keep taking that JustKeepGoing advice - I think it's very wise! :-)
ReplyDelete