“Auntie, I have the tortillas.” Her soft voice and shy smile
greeted Hannah as she entered the room.
“Oh great! How much do I owe you?”
“One thousand two hundred.”
“Ok, let me find my purse.” After a few seconds of
searching, she realized it was in the car…and the rain was pouring.
At that point, I jumped in: “I think I’ve got it, let me
check.” Excited to be supporting this teen’s baking efforts, I found my purse. Ah, a bill with one plus zeros, that’s it…but
no 200 shillings, only 500. Well, she can keep 300 shillings. Beaming, I
reappeared in the kitchen. “Here you are. Keep the change!”
The girl seemed confused and Hannah uttered a brief “mmm” as
she reached for the money. “Ah, those zeros will get you every time! This is
10,000. I think I have a one.” The proper money was quickly found. The
embarrassment, however, did not so quickly leave.
Ah well. Now I know the difference between 1,000 shillings
and 10,000 shillings. 1,000 is orange, while 10,000 is blue, and that’s a
lesson I won’t quickly forget.
Those zeros always get me too! Does the saying fit..."the apple doesn't fall very far from the tree"?
ReplyDelete