Saturday, August 25, 2012

first post from uganda

Where to start? I've been in Uganda for almost 4 days now. The journey went well--no delays, I actually slept on the airplane, all my luggage arrived, and the trip to Kasana was easy and surprisingly quick. 

So...here I am! I'm currently living in a family's house with a housemate, H. She's lived here for several years, so I'm enjoying the ability to soak in her knowledge in the evenings. Beyond that, she's also pretty chill. ;)

Jet lag is nasty in the mornings--it makes waking up really rough. Otherwise, it hasn't been too bad. 

We're starting school on Sept. 3, the same day as third term for Ugandan students, due to a mini-staff retreat at the end of next week that I'll be attending. So I have a few more days of preparation-yay! 

The most exciting part of my new life thus far is the chickens we are babysitting for the family whose house we are watching. They moan like dying cats when they are hungry (which is about 6am daily). And then there's Fred, our resident escape artist. He has figured out how to fly the coop and thus performs his own version of Chicken Run multiple times daily. 

the wayward chicken
We emailed Fred's owners today about chicken disciple. This repeat offender may require corporal punishment.

Excuse me while I go chat with Fred about boundaries...

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Does Fred know there is a dinner table waiting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad suggests a simple solution involving the cat and the chickens you're watching ... :)

    Yay for school beginning on Labor Day! Ironic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How tasty is Fred looking??? hmmm....

    ReplyDelete