Friday, July 13, 2012

a cold shoulder to anxiety


I’m moving to Africa in 1 month, 7 days, and 14 minutes. This fact caused me no little consternation earlier in the week, when I realized that after removing camp days, travel days, beach days, family days, and sleep days, my preparation time drops to 11 days, max. Eleven days to figure out water filters and to find past-knee-length skirts, the two lingering items on my preparation list. Not to mention packing, moving, selling my car, and saying goodbye. That’s not enough time, said my brain, with very worldly logic.

By God’s grace, before my anxiety was even a few hours old, I read Matthew 6.

I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on.

And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?

Therefore do not be anxious, saying ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
--Matt. 6.25, 27, 31-34

Jesus specifically tells his followers not to worry about what they will drink. It’s as if he knew that someday, an insignificant girl from America would be concerned about how to get clean water in Africa. Don’t worry about it, He says. I’ve got this. Just trust me. So by His grace, I rejected my anxiety and reminded myself that God knows I need clean water. I wasn’t sure how He would provide it, but I refused to let it distract me.

Lo and behold, I arrive home tonight to find an email from my future housemate in Uganda. Don’t worry about bringing a water filter, she says. I’ve got one and so does the house where we’re staying. So 2 is uber plenty! What a timely reminder of how God delights to provide good gifts to His children, if only we will rest in His steadfast love and unending faithfulness. 

I’m moving to Africa in 1 month, 6 days, 23 hours, and 34 minutes. And I refuse to worry about a thing.

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing how God works when we stop worrying and give it over to Him.

    ReplyDelete