Friday, September 30, 2011

real-time update

I remember clearly the first discovery that I was myopic. We were in church, about halfway to the back, singing as the worship service started. This church was fairly small: possibly 20 rows, hard pews, a traditional stage & pulpit, with lyrics projected by overheads. My two best friends (because at 8 year old, you can have more than one) and I were the church triplets, doing everything from AWANA to choir to Sunday School together.

I tugged on my mother's sleeve: "Mom, I can't see the words. What do they say?"

She didn't express surprise or fear or even strong concern, any of the normal reactions that I now as an adult would have expected. She glanced at me, at the screen, and then simply handed her glasses to me: "Does that make it better?"

"Yes!" I stared hungrily at the overhead, unwilling to return the sudden clarity I had received. "Can I use them?"

She laughed and took them back: "No, then I won't be able to see. We'll get you some glasses this week."

That was over 15 years ago, so long that even the memory of perfect vision has gone from my brain. After today, however, that will not longer be the case. After today, I will remember the day I regained my vision as clearly as I remember the day I realized I was losing it. Because right now, at this moment, I am undergoing LASIK surgery.

I have been dreaming of this day for 3 years, ever since a friend came back to college with crusty eyes and no more glasses.

I have been planning for this day for 2 years, ever since two friends sat at my parents' kitchen table and told me everything about their LASIK procedures from the previous summer. And told me which doctors to talk to.

I have been saving for this day for 1 year, ever since my optometrist told me that yes, indeed, I was a candidate for LASIK.

(here's a theme in case you didn't notice it: Big, life-changing events don't tend to happen very quickly in my life.)


To celebrate this rather simple procedure that will rather drastically change my life, I present a song:


No comments:

Post a Comment