Wednesday, May 8, 2013

more camp photos

The theme of our family retreat last week was "Wholly Surrendered," especially focused on purity. It was a hard topic at times for the kids, but so good for them to hear! We'd spend the morning hearing a presentation, breaking into small groups for discussion, and hearing testimonies from staff. Good stuff! 
can't beat a small group discussion with this view!

Of course, I think the highlight of the trip for many people was swimming in Lake Victoria! 




Swimming with the kids was a real bonding experience, as many of them had little previous water experience. I had up to 3 kids at a time begging me to teach them to swim! There's only so much we could do in 4 hours of swimming through the week, but hopefully they've got a good start for future practicing. 

I got a sweet tan...and hopefully NOT bilharzia! 
 It was also sweet to see the older kids playing and helping with the younger kids in the water. 



The week ended with an unexpected adventure...our mini-bus was about 2.5 hours late! We finally arrived back home at 10pm. I was fighting a nasty head cold, which means that trip definitely takes the cake for 'worst road trip ever'! 

the back half of the coaster

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you braving the waters of Lake Victoria to teach those precious children how to swim!

    ReplyDelete