Monday, February 13, 2012

an equation

An equation I saw in a college dorm room recently goes as follows:

Intentions minus (-) action equals (=) squat

For example, my intention since the beginning of January to post regularly on this blog obviously has meant nothing since I would/could not take action on it. And my intention to get out the door so I can run or go to work early or call my neighbor or buy  groceries means nothing if I don't put some serious willpower into acting on the desire. 

Likewise, I realized today that a similar equation holds true for belief:

Belief plus (+) talk minus (-) action equals (=) a pile of crap

If I really believe that any parent can homeschool a special needs kid and if I have argued this belief in front of hundreds of families over the past three years, yet I purposefully refuse a chance to act on that belief for myself, do I really believe it?

If I truly believe that God has a good plan for my life and I often claim that even in hardships, He is working good for my future, yet I distinctly choose not to accept the hard position He unexpectedly gifts to me, do I really believe it?

Do the beliefs I espouse really inform my decision-making paradigm? 

No comments:

Post a Comment