Friday, July 29, 2011

In space no one can hear you scream...but in the Wild West, they probably can.

Today marks the opening of Cowboys & Aliens.



Now, I'm not usually an alien-movie type of person. As a teenager, I chose to sit in another room and do schoolwork (Latin, I think) instead of joining my family for the original Alien movie (1979). I'm pretty sure I had nightmares just from hearing the screams, and the poster still gives me shivers.



My dislike (perhaps dread would be a better word?) of alien movies is deep-seated and historically-proven. When Dad and the Bro were stoked about Predator v. Alien, Mom and I gladly stayed home to watch Phantom of the Opera. The boys have long since learned not even to ask: the gals in our family just don't do alien movies. I actually don't even enjoy ET, though obviously for reasons other than the scare factor.


Yet somehow, Cowboys & Aliens is different. Perhaps it's the prevalent sunshine (which, being a Western, you can't really do without). Perhaps it's the cowboys. Perhaps it's that I was reunited with the Bro (which happens rarely and generally puts me in a really good mood about anything) when I saw the preview.

In fact, I didn't even realize what movie was being showcased until about halfway through the preview. You could have stolen my Pina Colada Orbit gum right out of my wide-open mouth, I was so shocked at the first mention of aliens.

My thoughts were something along the lines of this:

A western? Huh. Daniel Craig in a Western?? Hot! Harrison Ford in a Western WITH Daniel Craig??? [insert pause while jaw drops to the floor]

Holy Toledo, I have to see this movie!



(seriously, don't they just look so normal and Western and heroic? though perhaps a bit scared...)

And then the thought shot through my mind, much like lasers were shooting from Daniel Craig's arm: Aliens?

[attempts to reconcile Harrison Ford with aliens outside of Star Wars...fails]

Aliens? As in...Cowboys and Aliens??

The Bro nodded vigorously and grinned broadly. "We have to see that!!" he croaked into my ear in the dark theater. "It's gonna be awesome!!"

Suddenly, I was a convert. I moved from the girls's side to the guys' side in my family, from the alien-avoiders to the alien-must-seers, all because of Harrison Ford.



Some movie execs really do know what they're doing.

4 comments:

  1. LOL. so. we almost called you last night at like....11:30...when we got out of Captain America--because Nick wanted to go to the midnight showing of Cowboys and Aliens...we didn't go...but maybe we should have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, thanks for not calling, I was sound asleep! but we should go some Thursday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have pretty much exactly described my thought processes about that movie. The trailer did it. I would even rather see this than Smurfs.

    You'll review it WHEN you see it, right? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, Ryan wanted to go to the 9 o'clock showing last night. I said it was not worth sacrificing sleep to see. So we stayed up til 11 watching _Terminator 2_ instead. (???) Let us know if you like it!

    ReplyDelete